March of the Penguins (600-word essay)

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

My life is similar to a penguin’s in many ways. In this essay, I shall just compare my life to a young penguin’s. Actually, there isn’t much to talk about that, but somehow, I’ll make this last six hundred words (see how I’m using six hundred instead of 600? It wastes more words ha ha)

A penguin is protected by their mother and father when they are just born. The parents stick them on top of their legs and under their bodies to warm them. I bet my mother took very good care of me when I was a baby. Both penguin parents and human parents care for their children endlessly. There are just no words to describe the motherly love (or actually, it’s more like parental love in the penguins’ case) to their baby.

When the baby grows, up, the parents teach the baby what they know. In the penguins’ case, the parents teach them to catch fish. My parents teach me…well, boring stuff. My dad rants on about circuits and electricity, as well as math, while my mother…actually, she doesn’t lecture me much. She probably noticed I don’t really like Dad’s lectures. Anyways, if she were to lecture me about something, it would be about AutoCAD. Or maybe it would be able machinery. I donno. All my mom says is “try your best on everything and just not think of the result that much. If you got a good mark, great! Celebrate! But if you got a bad mark, don’t sweat over it. Look over your mistakes and do your best next time. There will always be a next time.

I personally thought the penguins were really protective of their young, much more so that other animals. Turtles, for example, abandon their eggs as soon as they laid them. They just leave the little turtles to crawl into the sea. Most of them get snatched away by birds or other animals to eat. Turtles are not good mothers. Penguins, meanwhile, keep their egg warm between their feet and their bodies right after they hatched. Right after the mother laid the eggs, she rolls them over to the father. The father then keeps it warm until the mother comes back from her feeding (I bet she’s hungry). Then, after that, they rotate between who would get the food for the baby (and themselves) and who would take care of the baby. They make a specials sound for their baby penguins to recognize after the little penguin is old enough to wander around themselves. It’s just so sad that some penguins are orphans, and some just get eaten.

Wow four hundred forty-seven words!! Still around a hundred and fifty words to go!! I’m not treating this writing as if it were a real essay am I? It’s more like counting what I’ve written.

Mr. Olson, since I was away in my piano exam on the first part of the movie, I wasn’t able to see it. I only know what was on the bonus part of the movie. Personally, I think the movie from the photographers’ point of view would be better, but then again, I didn’t see the first part, so I wouldn’t know. Watching the bonus part of the movie was good because it showed how much trouble the photographers’ went through photographing penguins. One photographer got frostbite all over his face and hands, and they weren’t able to go film the penguins during the snow storm. I personally think this movie would be suitable for all ages, well at least, for those who can understand it. Certainly babies wouldn’t understand it, but it’ll still be nice for babies to see cute little penguins. :D oh that’s six hundred twenty-four words already. I’ll stop (this is the way Karen ended her essay too :D I’m copying her).

0 comments: