Term 3 Blog #89

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Tuesday, June 3rd, 2008
im gonna dedicate this blog to grade 7 camp.

Camp Elphinstone

Grade seven camp was probably the best week I’ve had in my lifetime. Overlooking the pain in my arm that constantly bothered me, it only had one other flaw in it.
The first day I spent at Camp Elphinstone, I cracked my arm while playing Capture the Flag in the dark. The teachers thought that the pain would go away in a couple of days, but when I got back from camp, my doctor said that I should’ve gotten a cast for a week because here was a crack in my radius. The crack hurt every minute of camp. It took three times as long to get dressed, and I was unable to tie my hair myself. Taking showers were a pain, and canoeing was almost impossible.
Some great memories include yelling “How Ya Doin’?” from the window with Amy’s stuffed bunny to people going into the washroom (one of the windows of our cabin faced directly to the entrance of the washroom). The people would give us a variety of different queer looks that were extremely amusing.
Another great memory was of playing “Slap the Butt” with Amy, Karen, Judy, and Carmen. Basically, if one person lost a game of poker, they would get slapped on the butt 10 times. One of the perks of playing this game was that it was impossible to get me to budge from my sitting position, making it impossible to slap my butt when I lost.
The meals at Camp Elphinstone were great. There was lasagna, ice cream, hash browns, pizza, jelly, hot chocolate, grilled cheeseburgers…etc. You could eat as much as you want, without limitations. Karen and I used to have competitions on how much we were able to fit into our stomachs. I think I gained 10 pounds within that week alone.
Some activities we did include canoeing/kayaking, archery, and hiking. Once, we found a banana slug on a leaf during one of the hikes. The instructor licked it, and dared us to lick it. I was a wimp. I did not lick it. Amy and Carmen did though, and they enjoyed doing so. They had competitions of who can lick the most slugs during the time that we were there. I personally despise slugs, and even more so than dandy longlegs.
There was another downside of Camp Elphinstone though. In the showers, water was scarce. You could literally hear every drip of water as they hit the floor. Ok, so, maybe I was exaggerating it a bit. But water was still a problem in the showers.
Overall, that week in seventh grade had mostly perks and few downsides. I can’t wait for Camp Keats next year! Hopefully, it would be just as fun.

0 comments: